Change of owner of a vehicle
Using the service, the seller can create a digital certificate for the sale and make a notification of transfer after the sale. The buyer can use the service to make a notification of ownership change.
Sign in to My e-Services and create a digital certificate for the vehicle.
Print out two copies of the pre-filled deed of transfer, one for yourself and one for the buyer.
Fill out the deed of transfer together with the buyer.
Check the owner's name and the validity of the digital certificate using the digital certificate verification service.
Fill out the deed of transfer together with the seller. Sign into e-Services and make a change of ownership using the digital certificate. A vehicle in use on the road must be insured before the ownership change can be made.
If the seller has submitted a notification of transfer for you by using a personal identity code of business ID, you will not need a digital certificate.
When you buy a vehicle from a dealership, they can register the vehicle on your behalf.
As a Seller, you use e-Services to create a digital certificate for selling your vehicle. When creating the digital certificate, you can print out a pre-filled deed of transfer for both the buyer and the seller. You can use the service to cancel the digital certificate if the sale does not take place.
After the sale, make a notification of transfer, through which you ensure that your responsibilities related to the vehicle end on the correct day. Keep a copy of the Deed of Transfer for yourself in case any conflict arises.
- If you sell a car to an overseas buyer, the buyer requires both parts of the registration certificate.
- After making the notification of transfer, you may no longer change any of the car's registration details, print a certificate or create a digital certificate.
As the Buyer, you can use the service to notify about a change of ownership. you can also use it to add other owners and holders. For the notification, you need a digital certificate from the seller (valid for 14 days). Ownership can also be changed without using a digital certificate if the seller has made a notification of transfer for you using a personal identity number or business ID.
If you have received from the seller the notification section of the registration certificate instead of a digital certificate, the change of ownership must be done at the offices of the registering insurance company or motor vehicle inspection centre.
Make notification of the ownership change within 7 days of the date when it was recorded in the register that the owner had transferred ownership of the vehicle. The ownership change must be done also for vehicles removed from use on the road.
A vehicle in use on the road must be insured before the ownership change is registered.
A registration notice is cheapest online.
Alternative service channels
- Personal service provided at the service point of an insurace company or registering motor vehicle inspection company. For the change of ownership, you will need either a digital certificate or the notification section of the registration certificate (section II). A change of ownership is also possible without a digital certificate or section II if the previous owner has made a notification of transfer for you. For the notification of transfer, you will need a Deed of Transfer containing at least the buyer's name and address. It is also recommended to include a personal identity number or business ID.
- Online self-service provided by your own insurance company. For the change of ownership, you will need a digital certificate. A change of ownership is possible without a digital certificate or section II if the previous owner has made a notification of transfer for you. To make the notification of transfer, you will need the buyer's name and either their personal identity number or business ID.
- The dealership or finance provider may also take care of registering the change of ownership on your behalf when you purchase a vehicle.
- The service requires sign in. The person making the notification must be at least 15 years old.
- A digital certificate can be created or cancelled only by the owner recorded in the vehicle register.
Change of ownership
- The vehicle has a valid insurance policy (unless it has been removed from use on the road).
- The vehicle has a valid digital certificate or a notification of transfer made by the seller using the buyer's personal identity number or business ID.
- If an underage owner is not old enough to have the right to drive the vehicle in question, the holder of the vehicle must also be specified.
- If the owner or holder is an individual, they must have a Finnish personal identity number.
- If the owner or holder is a business, this business must have a valid business ID.
- The notification of transfer is made using the online service and is to include the buyer's name and Finnish personal identity number or business ID.
The service cannot be used if:
- The vehicle does not have a valid registration number
- The vehicle is subject to a registration alteration prohibition
- The vehicle's registered information is currently being processed
- The vehicle is subject to a transfer restriction
- The vehicle is in special use (rescue, undertaker or vetinerary vehicle)
- The vehicle has been marked as removed from the register, removed permanently, or removed to a foreign country or to the Åland Islands.
- The vehicle has been stolen