Changing the owner and holder data of an already owned vehicle
In the e-Services, you can change the owner and holder data of a vehicle you already own. If you have sold your vehicle, make a notification of transfer.
If you are the vehicle's registered owner, you can add and remove holders or other owners by logging into the service.
You do not need a certificate for this.
If you are the vehicle's registered holder, you can make changes provided you have received a certificate from the owner.
The certificate will enable the holder to make a notification about a change in owner or holder.
If you have sold your vehicle, make a notification of transfer, which will make sure that your obligations end at the date of the transfer. You can make the notification of transfer here.
Other service channels
- In-person visit to an insurance company or a service point of an inspection station which handles registration matters. A holder will need a certificate for this transaction
- Any electronic self-services provided by your insurance company. A holder will need a certificate for this transaction.
- The vehicle must have valid motor insurance (unless it has been decommissioned).
- The vehicle must have a valid digital certificate or a notification of transfer made by the seller using the buyer's personal identity code or business ID. You will not need a digital certificate to make changes to the current owner or holder information of a vehicle that you own.
- You need to log in to use the service. The age limit for reporting via the service is 15 years.
- If the owner is a minor who does not have the right to drive the vehicle in question, the information of the holder who is using the vehicle must be provided.
- If the reported owner or holder is a private person, they must have a Finnish personal identity code.
- If the reported owner or holder is an organisation, it must have a valid business ID.
Using the service is not possible in the following cases
- The vehicle has been issued with a registration alteration prohibition
- The processing of vehicle data is pending
- The vehicle has been issued with a transfer restriction
- The vehicle is in special use (a rescue vehicle, a hearse or a veterinary vehicle)
- The vehicle does not have a valid registration number
- The vehicle has a note of deregistration, final deregistration or having been taken abroad/to the Åland Islands
- The vehicle is a stolen vehicle